(121-07-17) Roasting in the Seven Hells
Roasting in the Seven Hells
Summary: Loryn and Thadeus have a joust on the Tourney Grounds, and a coincidentally interesting combination of spectators.
Date: 17/07/2014
Related: Words of Advice and Premiere at the Whimsy
Players:
Loryn..Thadeus..Riderch..Shayla..Ludvik..Cerys..Visenya..

Tourney Grounds, The Reach


The Tourney Grounds stand just outside of the walls of Oldtown. There is a raised platform of several levels for noble viewers, with space for comfortable chairs and little tables to be set in place, and tall posts for canopies to be hung to keep the sun off. Not far stands the great board where the lists are kept. On the far side of the grounds rough tiered benches are available for the smallfolk, and past them there's a flat field for the knights to erect their pavilions in the grass.

The long log rail for the jousts stands right before the Lords' and Ladies' platform, with the space for the melee just beyond it. The archery butts are mounded at the Southwest edge of the grounds, where a great meadow of purple-red fireweed spreads off into the distance. The rough little narrow road to Blackcrown cuts through it.


A wonderful late morning it is, and the tourney grounds are less deserted than usual, given the small crowd of Riverlands retainers following in a rider's wake. This rider being noone else than Ser Thadeus Tully, heir to Riverrun, attired in light practice armor. No practice blades have been brought along on this day, but a number of practice lances with dulled tips. The Bull Fish glances briefly about the place and as he does not spot the one he is obviously expecting he will dismount with a surprising grace and extend his hand towards one man in his retinue - the one with the wineskin. "Tis early and I am already thirsty like I were roasting in the Seven Hells…", Thadeus jibes with a chuckle, while his grey blue eyes are turned towards the road leading into Oldtown.

It's been a while since Loryn has sparred - being so busy with rehearsals for his show and hunting beasts and other occupations. He's rather pleased to receive an invitation from the Tully heir and rides up on his horse in full gear, a boy following in his wake with lances, armor and other things… as if the squire had a squire himself now.

A confident smirk sneaks into the mien of the Tully when the young Tyrell arrives and he raises the wineskin in a mock toast before he takes a moderate sip. This time indeed extending his arm to hand it to the young lad who is still ahorse. "Some refreshment before we start, lad?" If Loryn will not accept the offered wine, he'll hand the wineskin to one of his retainers, before he mounts his horse, a brownish stallion with a black mane and prepares for the tilt. "Shall we?"

Shayla is out for a walk this morning and with company too. The dark haired young woman walks along beside non other than Ser Ludvik Lannister, her arm linked with his. She is quiet for now thoughtful as the pair walks onto the Tourney grounds. She spots a pair of familer faces and smirks looking to Ludvik with an expression of pure amusement. "You know Ser Ludvik…its been too long since I've been able to practice my dancing. And this open area is just perfect for it wouldn't you say? Shall I dance for you?" She gives him a mischievious look and clearly she is up to something.

"I'll drink after I've thrown you off your horse.", Loryn grins at Thadeus, "I was surprised and honoured to receive your invitation. What did you think of the play?", he asks curiously, while he dismounts to let the boy help him put on some training armour.

Smiling as he listens to Shayla's words, the Lannister looks around at the various people present for a few moments, before he offers a grin to the one walking with him. "I always love watching you dance," he replies to her, after a few moments of pause.

"Oh… the play…" Thadeus smiles after a moment, when he realizes they will have a bit of conversation before they will actually start. "It was… entertaining indeed. I was surprised… Did you really come up with all this…?", he inquires with a good-natured chuckle. "I mean there were some… mature elements in there…." And Loryn's still a lad, right? The Bull Fish cannot help but smirk. For now, oblivious it seems to the new arrivals, as his attention focuses on the squire.

There are a few layabouts on the practice field today, as a leaner sort of Knight in black-and red finished practice armor works through a quick series of practice sword strikes with a burly retainer somewhere in his thirties. The larger man has the look of a service lifer rather than some young Squire.

The aforementioned Knight stops as this latest flurry of blows is dodged by both, to brush the sweat out of the stubble of his recently-shorn head. The chestpiece of the armor bears a stylized black raven as an archaic sort of personal sigil over a crimson background while his retainer wears the crest of another Riverlands house, sworn to Tully. House Blackwood. The Knight appears to be Ser Riderch Blackwood, who suddenly turns on his heel to drag the back of his hand against his forehead, eyeing some of crowd as they pour in. "Well would you bloody look at that?"

<FS3> Shayla rolls Dancing: Good Success.
<FS3> Shayla rolls Singing: Good Success.

"Of course I did. I'm a playwright, am I not?", Loryn asks, bristling slightly, though his cheeks flush with pride. Once his armour is all done up, he climbs back into the saddle and waits for the boy to bring him a lance. "Well, I'm ready when you are, my friend.", he says sweet and looks around, seeing others nearby. "Looks like we have an audience here as well…"

Shayla smiles happily stepping back to release Ludvik's arm. She seems focused on the Lannister and she faces him as her lips part and she begins to sing in a soft soprano. Its a teasing tune about love and how some treat it as a game. As she sings she suddenly spins about not stopping her song and begins to dance along to it. Her movements are graceful and slow, teasing like the song. Her hips sway gently and her steps are just as good as her song. She turns so she is facing Thadeus and Loryn giving ludvik a veiw of her backside in the process. She bends forward slightly, slowly and then she spins again that skirt giving a teasing view of her legs to all present.

Grey-blue eyes follow Loryn's glance towards the others. A hand is raised in greeting to the Blackwood from afar, then the woman is spotted, and the Tully seems to freeze for a moment, muttering a curse under his breath. The moment of indignation will be short however. Smiling when Shayla starts to sing and launch into that dance, he will swiftly avert his gaze. But not swiftly enough not to catch her gaze and that view of her front as she bends forward.

"Hrrrm," he clears his throat, looking back to Loryn now. The Bull Fish is ready, halfhelmet in place, a fresh training lance in hand, a shield in his other hand that holds the reins of his horse. "Friend…?", Thadeus echoes then with a raised brow. "Well. For now, your opponent in the lists…." And he rides off to his place at the other side of the list.

Loryn's grin spreads all over his face when he recognizes the dancer. "Hey, Tully, ain't that your girlfriend?", he calls out, "Looks like she's found a bigger pot of gold now…" His insult delivered, he claps the visor of his helmet shut, grips the lance tight and guides his horse to the start place. Waiting for a signal to start.

Ludvik glances around to the other present, very briefly, before his attention goes back to Shayla, watching her sing and dance with a quiet smile for now. A brief glance towards the others again, then back to the dancing woman.

Shayla catches Thadeus's eyes for that brief moment and she gives him a teasing smile and a wink before spinning about to face Ludvik once again. She continues her song her movements slowing a bit and becoming even more risque. She dances her way around Ludvik in a slow circle her hands brushing against him lightly as she dances around him. Loryn's words draw no immediate response from her as she is busy doing what she does best, teasing.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Thadeus=Riding Vs Loryn=Riding
< Thadeus: Good Success Loryn: Good Success
< Net Result: Thadeus wins - Marginal Victory

Lord Tully's gesture does in fact catch Riderch's attention and it's a wave in return — if a tentative one. "Bloody ghosts below, Tel, where's that —" The big man with him merely grins and produces a couple of drinking skins from nearby. Could be water, could be wine. He shrugs, lopsidedly and watches the dancer but doesn't linger overlong as he does in fact watch Thadeus square off against Loryn. This show's on the road, now. Blackwood merely takes a hit off the drinking vessel, "thank you."

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Thadeus=Blades Vs Loryn=Riding
< Thadeus: Success Loryn: Success
< Net Result: DRAW
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Loryn=Blades Vs Thadeus=Riding
< Loryn: Success Thadeus: Great Success
< Net Result: Thadeus wins - Solid Victory

Unable to hold back a smile as he watches Shayla dance around him, Ludvik mutters something to her a bit quietly as she does. There's a glance to Loryn and Thadeus, very briefly, then back to Shayla.

As Loryn calls out to Thadeus thats when Cerys makes her entrance. The petite silver haired woman steps onto the fields with slow graceful steps a guard and a handmaiden following behind her. At the words from the Tyrell the Targaryen Princess puases looking towards Thadeus curiously. She looks a bit confused and she studies Thadeus watching as he moves to sqaure off against the squire. She moves a bit closer managing to ignore Shayla for now as she moves to watch the two men joust. She still looks confused as to what the Tyrell was talking about.

One of the Tully retainers gives the sign, and Thadeus' horse launches into a gallop, his lance is aimed at Loryn, but is deflected by the shield, as is the lance of the Tyrell, which is parried quite easily by the Tully. No lance is broken, and so Thadeus whirls his horse about when he has reached the end of the list, and launches into the next pass. Barely managing to glimpse curls of silvery hair and notice that oh so familiar voice of his betrothed. Bad timing indeed. Aiming to unhorse for real this time, the Tully rides towards the young squire again.

Shayla smiles sweetly at Ludvik as she dances her way behind him. She presses close against him and peeks out from behind him at Thadeus. She watches the Tully a moment and then she spins away from Ludvik till she is facing Thadeus. The song ends and she bends down in a low curtsey her hand subtly coming up to the front of her corset shifting it and giving the Tully a breif glance down the front of her dress if he chooses to look her way.

Loryn doesn't seem too pleased by how the first round has gone, but he's still in the saddle and that's what matters. Holding on to his unbroken lance, he returns to the far end of the lists and waits for his opponent to signal that they are ready for another tilt.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Loryn=Riding Vs Thadeus=Riding
< Loryn: Great Success Thadeus: Good Success
< Net Result: Loryn wins - Solid Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Loryn=Blades Vs Thadeus=Riding
< Loryn: Good Success Thadeus: Great Success
< Net Result: Thadeus wins - Solid Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Thadeus=Blades Vs Loryn=Riding
< Thadeus: Good Success Loryn: Good Success
< Net Result: Loryn wins - Marginal Victory

Ludvik keeps most of his attention on Shayla, before he watches the two jousters, shaking his head a little now. Attention going back to Shayla, he offers her a smile. "That was wonderful," he says, words kept rather quiet for the moment.

Again, both riders remain ahorse, and not the slightest splinter comes off from either of the lances. Thadeus would perhaps glance Shayla's way under different circumstances, were it not that he notices his betrothed now indeed and greets her - hah - with a salute of his lance - in the moment he turns his horse. And then he will ride again, grumbling beneath his helmet. "You are too small! And slippery! Hold still, will ya!" he calls with a chuckle, aiming to amuse the lad before he sends him to the ground.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Thadeus=Riding Vs Loryn=Riding
< Thadeus: Good Success Loryn: Good Success
< Net Result: Loryn wins - Marginal Victory

Glug glug. It's not immediately certain whether the drink in Blackwood's hand is water or wine. "This is better than the last time we did this, eh?" He nudges his beef mountain of a squire who chortles as the two edge off towards the other spectators a little. All while spectating themselves.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Loryn=Blades Vs Thadeus=Riding
< Loryn: Good Success Thadeus: Good Success
< Net Result: Loryn wins - Marginal Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Thadeus=Blades Vs Loryn=Riding
< Thadeus: Great Success Loryn: Good Success
< Net Result: Thadeus wins - Solid Victory

Loryn is clearly NOT amused by the joke and there's no sound coming out from under that visor except a grunt. And so they ride again and Loryn's lance makes contact with the Tully's shield, but it doesn't break. He can't avoid being hit again and there's even a crack in the other lance, but both riders remain ahorse. And neither looks like he's going to give in any time soon.

Cerys offers Thadeus a small yet warm little smile as he salutes her. She watches the pair intently looking almost excited but then her gaze drifts over spotting Shayla and she notices the woman's gaze as it drifts towards the Tully. Blue-grey eyes narrow and Cerys bites her lower lip in a nervous fashion glancing back to her betrothed. She smiles softly offering silent support as the riders continue to test each others skills.

Apparently, one Targaryen on the field just isn't enough. Soon after Cerys arrives her older sister rides up to the fence separating the field proper from the spectator's area, a few maids and men-at-arms hot on her trail. She dismounts smoothly, and approaches the fence to stand near her younger sister. "Oh look." She says in a cheery tone, "A Tyrell who doesn't know what to do with his lance. How ironic." Her head turns when Cerys' eyes drift over to Shayla, and the princess gives her an assessing look.

The cracked lance is tossed aside by the Tully, a relieved "Woohoo!", leaving the lungs of the Riverlander. Finally he seems to regain his form again. A fresh lance is accepted, as Thadeus slows his horse down to a trot, which gives him time to greet Cerys more properly. "My dear princess," he smiles warmly, before he lowers the lance before her. "Mayhaps you have a favor for your knight?", said as he gives her an irresistible smile. Although, noting her nervous biting of her lip, the briefest of glances is tossed Shayla's way, eyes widening just a touch as he sees that deep and revealing bow towards his person, before he shakes his head. "She must be very desperate," he remarks in a casual tone. "But I am sure it is him she entertains." Visenya is greeted with a bow. "And there, the other princess. Well met, my two dragons. Now watch a Fish unhorse a Flower!"

Loryn quirks a brow when the Tully heads over the Targaryen princess to ask for a favour. How now? Obviously he isn't aware of their connection. So he guides his own horse over to the group as well to bow to Visenya. "Well, Princess, if the Targaryens hand out favours, may I be so bold as to ask for yours? This rose's thorns with skewer a trout easily, I promise you."

Ludvik turns to watch the two jousters again, shaking his head a bit although they hit each other now. There's a brief grin as he sees the questions for favors, but he keeps quiet for the moment, just watching.

The huge man accompanying Riderch lets his mouth hang open in a rather coarse yawn. "Say we find somethin' to better spend our time doing, M'Lord?" He looks towards the black-clad Knight.

"If you have any ideas, Tel, now's the time." The two of them lope towards the stands to watch the carnage.

Visenya's brow quirks upwards, "You would ask me to give you my favor so you may ride against my future good-brother? Even if another man did not have my favor, I would certainly not give it to you for that." She gives Loryn a bored little look before glancing towards the field.

Loryn looks a little indignant, but he inclines his head. "As you wish, my lady.", he says a bit stiffly and returns to the list to wait for the Tully.

The Tully meanwhile still waits for a reaction of his soon-to-be-bride. When it does not come, he raises the lance again, offering her a charming smile. "I see you are displeased, Cerys. Let me explain to you later…" As his gaze drifts towards Loryn and he shrugs. "I'll better not make him wait. This pass," he says shooting Cerys a glance, "I will ride for you." The lance is lowered and upon the sign the brown stallion launches once again into a gallop, the Tully's lance lowered and aimed at the Tyrell, the expression on his face - slightly displeased.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Loryn=Riding Vs Thadeus=Riding
< Loryn: Good Success Thadeus: Good Success
< Net Result: Thadeus wins - Marginal Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Thadeus=Blades Vs Loryn=Riding
< Thadeus: Great Success Loryn: Great Success
< Net Result: DRAW
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Loryn=Blades Vs Thadeus=Riding
< Loryn: Good Success Thadeus: Success
< Net Result: Loryn wins - Marginal Victory

Ludvik just chuckles as he listens, but keeps on silently watching the happenings now. "Think they'll ever manage to get done?" he remarks to those nearby, a bit quietly now.

<FS3> Opposed Roll — Thadeus=Riding Vs Loryn=Riding
< Thadeus: Success Loryn: Good Success
< Net Result: Loryn wins - Marginal Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Loryn=Blades Vs Thadeus=Riding
< Loryn: Great Success Thadeus: Good Success
< Net Result: Loryn wins - Solid Victory
<FS3> Opposed Roll — Thadeus=Blades Vs Loryn=Riding
< Thadeus: Great Success Loryn: Success
< Net Result: Thadeus wins - Solid Victory

It takes another round until both jousters get good blows in that see their lances crack and splinter. Loryn's horse snorts and starts to get skittish though, its way of telling him that it's really had enough of jousting today. Loryn pats the mare comfortingly, then lifts his visor to look at the Tully. "Are you agreed, good Ser, that we call it a draw for today?", he asks, slightly out of breath.

Thadeus nods, out of breath as well as out of words it seems. Until he manages a "Well ridden, for a young squire such as you," and looks at the Tyrell with a grin. "A draw it is then." Giving his own horse a hearty pat there, before he trots off, towards the princesses.

"Thank you, Ser.", Loryn acknowledges with a smile, then he guides his horse back to where he left the boy, so they can pack up and head out. No further look is givein to the Targaryen princesses or anyone else.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License